Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Depositing "checks" personal opinion
Posted by BobbiCT of CT on 12/13/18 8:05am Msg #601146
Dealing with banks, investment companies and "financial institutions" for more years than I will number in public:

There really is no such thing as "cashing" a check at a bank anymore. A check is deposited into YOUR bank account. You need to go to a bank where you have an account that matches the payee on the check or, most often if the payee is a little off (my name sometimes isn't 100% correct as payee) go to your local branch where you opened your account. If you want "cash," what happens is the check is deposited BUT THE CASH is deducted from the funds you already have in your account. If you don't have enough "cleared cash" to cover the "cash" you want, you may not be able to get that much "cash."

Reminder: X number of business days before a check "clears," and then X number of business days before it may "bounce" or discovered a fraud. Had a situation where a $XX,XXXX certified bank check turned out to be an "almost perfect forgery," it took almost a month before it was discovered, fortunately, the money was held in escrow and it was discovered "sooner" because the fake check was a check from the same bank but a different out of state branch; i.e., California certified check being deposited in Connecticut. So ladies & gentlemen, behind the scenes even a "certified bank check" takes X number of days before it clears. Good forgeries even longer; that check was such a good fake it went through many hands before being determined it was bogus. A reason I, and companies I work with, keep a daily watch on checking accounts and don't spend deposited money for a minimum of 8 business days, which still may not be "safe" for an out-of-state check - i.e., that check may go through 2-3 fed clearing houses before it hits its issuer's account for withdrawal.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 echeck vendor payments posing problem for my bank-continued - snowflake/PA on 12/12/18 2:48pm
 Re: echeck vendor payments posing problem for my bank-continued - Mobile1/PA on 12/12/18 4:06pm
 Re: echeck vendor payments posing problem for my bank-continued - Luckydog on 12/12/18 6:14pm
 Re: echeck vendor payments posing problem for my bank-continued -  JanetK_CA on 12/12/18 7:03pm
 Depositing "checks" personal opinion - BobbiCT on 12/13/18 8:05am
 Time to change banks. If you have been a customer for a long - Colonel/IA on 12/13/18 10:28am
 Re: Time to change banks. If you have been a customer for a long - Ali/IL on 12/13/18 11:43am
 Re: echeck vendor payments posing problem for my bank-continued - MikeC/TX on 12/13/18 5:30pm
 Absolutely correct, Mike, echecks lack a MICR line. :( n/m -  Christine/OK on 12/14/18 6:24am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.