Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: echeck vendor payments posing problem for my bank-continued
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 12/13/18 5:30pm Msg #601169
"They are not "Micro-encoded.""

That sort of makes sense, sort of. I think she meant MICR-encoded - that refers to the line on the bottom of a standard check that contains the routing number, account number, and check number (and when cashed, the bank adds the amount of the check as part of the processing). MICR-encoding uses a special ink or toner that can be magnetized and then read by a scanner, and banks rely on it for processing paper checks. If you're old enough to remember when banks used to send your canceled checks with your monthly statement, you've probably seen canceled checks with another MICR-line taped to the bottom. That was there to correct an error or an unreadable original.

I haven't seen one of these echecks, but I'm guessing they don't have a MICR line. Even if they do, they're not scannable unless you have magnetic toner in your printer (unlikely), but as I said above, the bank has a way to correct a paper check that can't be scanned. It may be that some banks aren't able to handle non-standard paper checks, but since companies like Deluxe are providing echecks, it's more likely a lack of knowledge at the local branch - someone didn't get (or didn't read) the memo. If the problem continues, I'd escalate it to a regional office.

In case anyone's wondering, MICR stands for Magnetic Ink Character Recognition...
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 echeck vendor payments posing problem for my bank-continued - snowflake/PA on 12/12/18 2:48pm
 Re: echeck vendor payments posing problem for my bank-continued - Mobile1/PA on 12/12/18 4:06pm
 Re: echeck vendor payments posing problem for my bank-continued - Luckydog on 12/12/18 6:14pm
 Re: echeck vendor payments posing problem for my bank-continued -  JanetK_CA on 12/12/18 7:03pm
 Depositing "checks" personal opinion - BobbiCT on 12/13/18 8:05am
 Time to change banks. If you have been a customer for a long - Colonel/IA on 12/13/18 10:28am
 Re: Time to change banks. If you have been a customer for a long - Ali/IL on 12/13/18 11:43am
 Re: echeck vendor payments posing problem for my bank-continued - MikeC/TX on 12/13/18 5:30pm
 Absolutely correct, Mike, echecks lack a MICR line. :( n/m -  Christine/OK on 12/14/18 6:24am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.