Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Update - Signing for the Deaf
Posted by Sandra Ray of AZ on 2/19/19 1:24pm Msg #603577
Hello, I recently posted this on my blog the other day:
DID YOU KNOW:
How do you notarize a signature for someone who is deaf?
Arizona law does not have specific provisions for notarizing for the deaf, but The Notary Public Code of Professional Responsibility helpfully states that a Notary Public must be able to communicate directly with the signer in order to notarize his/her signature.
Standard III-C-3 says: “The Notary shall not notarize for any person with whom the Notary cannot directly communicate in the same language, regardless of the presence of a third-party interpreter or translator.”
Any form of direct communication is allowed. The Notary and signer may communicate in sign language. The Notary may communicate directly with the deaf person through writing notes on paper, or the Notary and signer type messages to each other on a computer or mobile device while in each other’s presence.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Signing for the Deaf -  Cheryl Elliott on 2/18/19 9:23am
 Re: Signing for the Deaf - Luckydog on 2/18/19 9:49am
 It Is My Understanding That You Cannot Use An Interpreter - PegiT_MN on 2/18/19 1:06pm
 They're not blind, just deaf--they can read! n/m - Lee/AR on 2/18/19 10:02am
 I learned ASL and SEE sign in college..... - notarydi/CA on 2/18/19 10:20am
 Re: They - Luckydog on 2/18/19 11:37am
 Intrepeters may not be used in California n/m -  Cheryl Elliott on 2/18/19 12:07pm
 Deaf, Hard of Hearing Notary Guide - ABC Legal Docs, LLC - Jerry Lucas on 2/18/19 11:45am
 Re: Signing for the Deaf - ananotary on 2/18/19 12:30pm
 American Sign Language (ASL) Notary Directories - ABC Legal Docs, LLC - Jerry Lucas on 2/18/19 1:53pm
 Re: Signing for the Deaf - Anita Edwards on 2/19/19 1:09pm
 Update - Signing for the Deaf - Sandra Ray on 2/19/19 1:24pm
 SignAll Automated ASL Translation Technology - ABC Legal Docs, LLC - Jerry Lucas on 2/19/19 4:44pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.