Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Don't mean to blame the victim, but ....
Posted by BearPaw/CO of CO on 5/26/19 11:51pm Msg #606740
… big part of the problem here is that you went to a signing without confirmation from the borrower. Been there down that. Never again. Tho nothing as horrible happened to me as what you experienced. Still, we're just stepping into a potential minefield. In my experience, no, they weren't expecting me. They either didn't want the loan or didn't want to apply anymore. And had told everybody that and therefore didn't bother to call me back cos they assumed I had been told not to come. I call these spaghetti signings. The lender is throwing something against the wall, hoping it will stick and that the notary will bring it home. I do not show up at people's houses unless the borrowers confirm they are expecting me. It's just not safe. And your experience proved that. I'm so sorry what you went through. It's not right for some LO to expect us to just knock on some door, hoping somebody will answer while we haven't even had a phone call to at least tell them our name. Really? How unprofessional. Are we selling magazine subscriptions door to door or actually have an appt and are expected?

I realize all too well the pressure on us to "just show up." SSs and LOs lie to us, tell us the borrower is "expecting us." That it's already "confirmed." Yeah, sure. Just like your borrower was "expecting" you. Then before you knew what happened, you're caught up in major family dysfunction with some idiot girlfriend screaming at you and some bully who all but physically assaulted you, grabbing at the docs and holding your car door open while you were trying to leave. Yikes! And if you had called the police, which you had every right to do, the SS and LO would have blamed you for overreacting and embarrassing the lender, losing a client, etc. etc. I now turn down flat any signing where I am told just show up.

Fortunately, several prominent SSs instruct "don't print docs until you've confirmed with borrowers." They do this cos they don't want to pay a print fee. Certainly not because they're concerned about our safety. So, if borrower never confirms, we're off the hook!

BTW: You said you told the title company it was not their fault, and possibly not the lender's fault. In my opinion, unless you happily and freely went despite no confirmation, then you went because you knew they'd throw a fit if you just didn't "show up" like they pressure us to do. So, yes, it was their fault, and they can act all concerned about what happened to you, but if you hadn't gone, they'd probably be yelling at you. Can't win. Only we can look out for ourselves. And Bodley had many great ways to stay safe.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 When A Signingn Quickly Turns Dangerous: My Story -  PegiT_MN on 5/26/19 6:59pm
 Re: When A Signingn Quickly Turns Dangerous: My Story -  PegiT_MN on 5/26/19 7:09pm
 Re: When A Signingn Quickly Turns Dangerous: My Story -  Amigoaz on 5/26/19 7:12pm
 Glad you are safe - and thanks for the reminder. -  JanetK_CA on 5/26/19 8:26pm
 Re: Glad you are safe. Have you considered - Yoli/CA on 5/26/19 8:38pm
 Re: Always know your surroundings - Carolyn Bodley on 5/26/19 9:14pm
 Don't mean to blame the victim, but .... - BearPaw/CO on 5/26/19 11:51pm
 In your neck of the woods, you could be greeted with the -  Cheryl Elliott on 5/27/19 7:44am
 Re: Oops — pepper spray not mace - Carolyn Bodley on 5/27/19 9:07am
 Dangerous: My Story-thank goodness you are okay!!! n/m - LJCA on 5/27/19 12:35am
 Re: When A Signingn Quickly Turns Dangerous: My Story -  Cheryl Elliott on 5/27/19 7:39am
 Glad to know you're safe Pegi. That sounds like it was a -  MW/VA on 5/27/19 8:15am
 I don't think under these circumstances -  Cheryl Elliott on 5/27/19 8:34am
 Re: When A Signingn Quickly Turns Dangerous: My Story - Linda_H/FL on 5/27/19 8:36am
 Re: When A Signingn Quickly Turns Dangerous: My Story -  Mike Goodey on 5/27/19 11:38am
 Re: When A Signingn Quickly Turns Dangerous: My Story - Luckydog on 5/27/19 11:54am
 Re: When A Signingn Quickly Turns Dangerous: My Story -  JanetK_CA on 5/27/19 6:42pm
 Re: We are trained to try and get those closing docs signed - Carolyn Bodley on 5/27/19 3:41pm
 I agree Carolyn - Luckydog on 5/27/19 6:41pm
 Re: I agree Carolyn -  JanetK_CA on 5/27/19 7:10pm
 my "just show up" was hilarious.... - notarydi/CA on 5/27/19 10:10pm
 Sounds like "bare all" -  Cheryl Elliott on 5/28/19 11:27am
 Re: When A Signingn Quickly Turns Dangerous: My Story - Ken/NoCal on 5/28/19 8:43am
 Re: When A Signingn Quickly Turns Dangerous: My Story -  Ernest__CT on 5/30/19 10:27am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.