Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: "hashing algorithm" (digitally enhanced)
Posted by  VT_Syrup of VT on 11/19/19 11:27amMsg #612499
NVLSlady/VA asked "More questions: So then, why is eNotary responsible for maintaining the digital record? What software is deemed suitable/reliable for this? Is there some standard "blockchain" (secure) model for the world of eNotarizations?"

Within the United States, there is no government-required or government-recognized blockchain for notarizations or notary journals, neither paper nor electronic.

Vermont recently passed legislation recognizing the concept of blockchains, and that they could, if properly implemented, be used for business records. But there is no special mention of using blockchains for notarizations.

As for the notary maintaining the digital record, I don't know about that. All I know is the requirement for a Vermont e-notary to maintain digital records won't be known until the Office of Professional Regulation issues rules, and they haven't written ANY notary rules yet. Because they have not written rules, Vermont notaries are not presently allowed to perform any kind of enotarization, neither the in-person kind nor the remote online kind.

As for "What software is deemed suitable/reliable for this?", I won't try to address keeping video records of remote signings. Just the matter of keeping an electronic notary journal is bad enough. Vermont notaries don't have to keep journals, but states that require them usually try to make it hard for a notary to make alterations to the journal, by requiring that it be bound, the pages numbered, entries to be in chronological order, etc. But it's hard to create an electronic journal that the notary can't alter after an entry is made, unless it's kept by a third party.

For example, if you kept your electronic journal in Excel, it would be trivial to insert a backdated entry.

In my opinion the most credible way to keep a notary journal of electronic notarizations is to keep it on paper. Most notaries wouldn't know how to keep a tamper-resistant electronic journal, and most people inspecting such a journal wouldn't know hot to tell if it was tamper-resistant.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 "A Blockchain-Based Digital Notary" - NOT! - JanetK_CA on 11/18/19 3:32pm
 Re: "A Blockchain-Based Digital Notary" - NOT! - Luckydog on 11/18/19 4:29pm
 Re: "A Blockchain-Based Digital Notary" - NOT! -  JanetK_CA on 11/18/19 4:46pm
 Re: "A Blockchain-Based Digital Notary" - NOT! - LJCA on 11/18/19 4:45pm
 forbes.com -  VT_Syrup on 11/18/19 4:49pm
 How dissappointing! Also, another article just today... -  JanetK_CA on 11/18/19 6:55pm
 And for what it's worth... -  JanetK_CA on 11/18/19 7:13pm
 Re: "A Blockchain-Based Digital Notary" - NOT! - LJCA on 11/18/19 5:50pm
 Exactly the kind of risks that RON creates! n/m -  MW/VA on 11/18/19 6:26pm
 Re: "A Blockchain-Based Digital Notary" - NOT! - NVLSlady/VA on 11/18/19 7:52pm
 Re: "A Blockchain-Based Digital Notary" - NOT! -  VT_Syrup on 11/18/19 8:25pm
 "hashing algorithm" (digitally enhanced) - NVLSlady/VA on 11/18/19 9:05pm
 Re: "hashing algorithm" (digitally enhanced) -  VT_Syrup on 11/18/19 9:49pm
 Re: "hashing algorithm" (digitally enhanced) -  JanetK_CA on 11/19/19 1:22am
 Re: "hashing algorithm" (digitally enhanced) - NVLSlady/VA on 11/19/19 2:58am
 Re: "hashing algorithm" (digitally enhanced) -  VT_Syrup on 11/19/19 11:27am
 Re: "hashing algorithm" (digitally enhanced) -  VT_Syrup on 11/19/19 11:31am
 Re: "hashing algorithm" (digitally enhanced) - NVLSlady/VA on 11/19/19 1:32pm
 Yes, this is the issue I was referring to. -  JanetK_CA on 11/19/19 4:45pm
 Re: Yes, this is the issue I was referring to. -  VT_Syrup on 11/19/19 5:34pm
 Yes, useful, but not a 'notarization' as we know it. Tks! n/m -  JanetK_CA on 11/19/19 5:41pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.