Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: Gardening for geeks and green thumbs
Posted by jba/fl of FL on 1/21/17 9:39pm Msg #28186
Whew - your list is exhausting to just read. I also have gone to raised beds and swimming pools (kiddie size). At the bottom of my beds I place 2-3 layers of cardboard, mostly to deter critters from the below soil from entering my new soil. It is expensive for the initial set up, but well worth the differences.

I also discovered mushroom compost last year. ... it is like crack for plants. It is composed of straw, horse poop, and chicken poop and is used to grow mushrooms. When the mushroom growers are done with it, it is dumped for new, lively material for their continued use. Since growers near me are over 50 miles away and when I was setting up I didn't have a truck, I had to pay to have 4 yards delivered. Now I have a truck, but still would have to travel too far and make about 3 trips, so still pays for me to order it delivered. Fortunately, the guy agreed to put 2 yards in front and 2 in the back. I have spread it everywhere, and it is making such a huge difference to all areas. In addition I amend soil with oak leaves and my own compost pile, which is full of earthworms. My tomatoes are growing and fruiting year round now, as well as onions, garlic and many others.

I cannot think of a better way to spend my time.
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Gardening for geeks and green thumbs - Bear900/CA on 1/17/17 12:51am
 Re: Gardening for geeks and green thumbs -  Cheryl Elliott on 1/17/17 7:29am
 Re: Planting in the full moonlight - Bear900/CA on 1/17/17 3:24pm
 Re: Gardening for geeks update - Bear900/CA on 1/17/17 3:19pm
 Re: Gardening for geeks update - anotaryinva on 1/19/17 6:03pm
 Re: Gardening for geeks update - Bear900/CA on 1/21/17 4:55pm
 Re: Gardening for geeks and green thumbs - jba/fl on 1/21/17 9:39pm
 Re: Gardening for geeks and green thumbs - anotaryinva on 1/22/17 2:31pm
 Re: Gardening for geeks and green thumbs - Bear900/CA on 1/22/17 5:54pm
 Re: Gardening for geeks and green thumbs - Bear900/CA on 1/22/17 6:04pm
 Re: Gardening for geeks and green thumbs - anotaryinva on 1/23/17 1:11pm
 Growing Zones count but... - Bear900/CA on 1/23/17 3:35pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.