Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Certificate and Journal
Posted by  VT_Syrup of VT on 2/19/20 3:58pm Msg #615970
In my state the journal is optional, but considered a public record. So I don't put sensitive information in it like a driver license number.

The document and certificate may be seen by lots of people, so again, I wouldn't put any sensitive information in it.

In an optional area outside the language of the certificate itself, I don't think there are hard and fast rules. But it will be perceived as something written by the notary. The law says I have to attach the certificate to a paper document. Writing information such as the title of the document, the number of pages, etc., isn't literally attaching it, but it's serving the same purpose. I wouldn't expect to get any flack about that.

But I would not certify any fact that notaries in my state are not allowed to certify, nor would I write anything that might be considered legal advice. For example, the statement in a box that CA notaries have to inculde,

"A notary public or other officer completing this certificate verifies only the identity of the individual who signed the document to which this certificate is attached, and not the truthfulness, accuracy, or validity of that document"

seems like legal advice to me, so I would never put it in one of my certificates.

In my state, information about capacity goes inside the certificate, and it is the signer who is claiming the capacity is true, not me. That's the Vermont law; I don't have to write that the signer is the one claiming the capacity, because the law says it.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Certificate and Journal - NVLSlady/VA on 2/19/20 1:04pm
 Re: Certificate and Journal -  Yoli/CA on 2/19/20 1:09pm
 Re: Certificate and Journal - NVLSlady/VA on 2/19/20 1:18pm
 Re: Certificate and Journal -  JanetK_CA on 2/19/20 2:14pm
 Re: Certificate and Journal - NVLSlady/VA on 2/19/20 1:39pm
 Re: Certificate and Journal...at the top of mine - Linda_H/FL on 2/19/20 1:44pm
 Yes, all these comments help! - NVLSlady/VA on 2/19/20 3:56pm
 Re: Yes, all these comments help! -  JanetK_CA on 2/23/20 2:55pm
 Re: Yes, all these comments help! - NVLSlady/VA on 2/23/20 10:06pm
 Re: Certificate and Journal -  VT_Syrup on 2/19/20 3:58pm
 Interesting prospective. But that box addition - NVLSlady/VA on 2/19/20 4:05pm
 Re: Interesting prospective. But that box addition -  VT_Syrup on 2/19/20 4:17pm
 Capacity -  VT_Syrup on 2/19/20 4:11pm
 Re: Capacity - NVLSlady/VA on 2/19/20 4:21pm
 Re: Capacity -  VT_Syrup on 2/19/20 5:05pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.