Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Would you notarize this document?
Posted by  lmb/CA of CA on 8/3/20 12:46pm Msg #622701
In my decade plus of being a Notary Public, I've never come across something like this. Ultimately, I folowed my state's laws, documented in my journal, and also documented additional notes in my laptop to jog my memory if the situation ever comes up.

Separation Agreement. Long time marriage. Mom wants to sign, dad doesn't.

Met with elderly mom. Dad was a no-show. Validated identity, logged into journal, mom signed. Started talking about the document she was signing (separation agreement). She was hard of hearing so we both (me and adult son), had to yell to her a couple times. She affirmed that she wanted to sign (said she wanted to do it for a long time). Started to find the sig page for her to sign when daughter walked in recording with her camera (I got the impression daughtetr didn't want this to happen). Asked me what the document was that was being signed, and pushed for info directly from me. I told her that she had to have that talk with her family. She kept recording, son indicated that she did not have my permission to record me, and I told him it didn’t matter to me. Since she was recording, we went through the process again to get it documented on her video. I again asked mom if she knew what she was signing, both son and I had to speak up so she could hear us. She affirmatively said yes, and wanted to move forward. I asked her to please look directly into daughters camera and state so. She didn’t know what I was talking about since daughter was behind her the whole time. Daughter walked around to face her, and I again asked that she state her wishes into daughters camera – she did. Mom was hard of hearing and had to catch up to what was happening in the moment, but based on my reasonable expectations, knew what she was signing, and wanted to sign it with no influence from outside parties.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Would you notarize this document? -  lmb/CA on 8/3/20 12:46pm
 Re: Would you notarize this document? -  walthtz on 8/3/20 12:52pm
 You can't just ask for ID of someone you aren't notarizing! n/m -  sigtogo/OR on 8/3/20 2:07pm
 Yes I would have notarized, along with all the - Linda_H/FL on 8/3/20 1:00pm
 Re: Would you notarize this document? - Luckydog on 8/3/20 1:09pm
 Re: Would you notarize this document? -  janCA on 8/3/20 2:04pm
 OP did not say suspicion of dementia, just hearing probs -  sigtogo/OR on 8/3/20 2:11pm
 Re: OP did not say suspicion of dementia, just hearing probs -  lmb/CA on 8/3/20 2:15pm
 I probably would have handled same as you. n/m -  JanetK_CA on 8/4/20 3:29am
 Re: Would you notarize this document? - Clem/CA on 8/3/20 2:02pm
 Re: Would you notarize this document? -  lmb/CA on 8/3/20 2:24pm
 Re: Would you notarize this document? -  VT_Syrup on 8/6/20 12:50pm
 Re: I agree with Clem/CA what are you asking? n/m -  OR on 8/6/20 12:37pm
 Re: Would you notarize this document? - JustANotary on 8/3/20 2:08pm
 Re: Would you notarize this document? - JkWa on 8/3/20 2:14pm
 Re: Would you notarize this document? -  lmb/CA on 8/3/20 2:30pm
 Re: Would you notarize this document? - pdl/cali on 8/3/20 10:53pm
 Re: Would you notarize this document? - Art_FL on 8/4/20 9:11am
 Re: Would you notarize this document? -  lmb/CA on 8/4/20 11:03am
 Do what today? Notify your E&O?? n/m - Linda_H/FL on 8/4/20 2:02pm
 Re: Do what today? Notify your E&O?? - Art_FL on 8/4/20 4:22pm
 Agree Art - that's why I asked...her post sounds like - Linda_H/FL on 8/4/20 4:30pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.