Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: My turn to vent. Has this happen to you?
Posted by  VT_Syrup of VT on 9/10/20 2:03pm Msg #624282
Much as I dislike the notary laws in California, I have to give them credit for one thing: usually, when they make a statement in their notary manual, they list the section of law the statement is based on. The Oregon manual doesn't do that, so it would take at least an hour of research to figure out what passages in the Oregon laws and rules apply. I've never seen a state that claims its notary manual is officially binding, it's just a summary of the law and rules, and the notary is required to follow the law and rules, not the manual.

Along with Oregon, my state, Vermont, has also adopted the Revised Uniform Law on Notarial Acts (although each state makes a few changes here and there). As I understand the VT law, I have two choices when writing a certificate.

1. I can use the short forms given in the law, EXACTLY. Nothing left out, nothing added, no messing with the order. (That's pretty hard to do, because the typesetting in the statute is bloody awful, so some interpretation is required.)

2. I can write out all the things I did to comply with the law. I have to say I did each of the things that is required. For example, I have to say that I checked the ID when I took an acknowledgement. But I can list things in any order, and add extra things to. For example, I could list not only the date, but the time of day, if I felt like it.

So suppose I choose option 2, and I use my stamp which has the name on my commission, "Gerard Ashton". But in a blank for my name, I write "Gerry Ashton". The certificate has all the minimum information. It's legal. But it also has extra information, my nickname, Gerry. I don't believe extra information makes it illegal.

But adding a version of a name that isn't the name that appears on the notary commission is not a good practice, because people who work in government offices often have a mindset of trying to find a reason to reject something, rather than trying to find a way to accept it.

By the way, in the Vermont law, I can't find anything that says I have to write my name in exactly the same way that it appears on my commission. It just says I have to put my name on my stamp, and if I don't use a stamp, I have to print it in the certificate.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 My turn to vent. Has this happen to you? - Mills Mobile Notary Service on 9/10/20 12:40am
 The County Clerk has the final say in what he/she -  Scriba/NM on 9/10/20 12:57am
 Re: My turn to vent. Has this happen to you? -  JanetK_CA on 9/10/20 2:30am
 Re: My turn to vent. Has this happen to you? - Luckydog on 9/10/20 6:19am
 Re: My turn to vent. Has this happen to you? - Luckydog on 9/10/20 6:22am
 I agree. Any time we write/print our name, it has to be the -  MW/VA on 9/10/20 7:56am
 Re: My turn to vent. Has this happen to you? -  Cheryl Elliott on 9/10/20 8:07am
 Page 36 of the Oregon Notary Public Guide - Linda_H/FL on 9/10/20 8:24am
 I am very surprised you have not had this happen before n/m - ananotary on 9/10/20 8:49am
 Re: My turn to vent. Has this happen to you? - Mills Mobile Notary Service on 9/10/20 10:15am
 Re: My turn to vent. Has this happen to you? - NVLSlady/VA on 9/10/20 10:43am
 Re: My turn to vent. Has this happen to you? - Linda_H/FL on 9/10/20 12:23pm
 maybe you have a indecipherable scribble or u just got lucky n/m - Lee/AR on 9/10/20 1:01pm
 Re: My turn to vent. Has this happen to you? -  VT_Syrup on 9/10/20 2:03pm
 VT, right at the beginning of their handbook is a - Linda_H/FL on 9/10/20 5:20pm
 Re: VT, right at the beginning of their handbook is a -  VT_Syrup on 9/11/20 7:25am
 Florida too - Linda_H/FL on 9/11/20 8:40am
 Your acknowledgment name should match stamp - DaveCA/CA on 9/10/20 10:56pm
 Oregon law changed 4-5 yrs ago, requires full name as on ID -  sigtogo/OR on 9/11/20 1:46pm
 Re: Oregon law changed 4-5 yrs ago, requires full name as on ID -  VT_Syrup on 9/11/20 3:30pm
 umm, no, VT. excuse my crabbiness, Oregon is on fire -  sigtogo/OR on 9/11/20 4:36pm
 IMHO they should match... - FeliseSoCal on 9/11/20 7:03pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.