Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Affidavits for Unemployment Insurance
Posted by Moneyman/TX of TX on 5/1/21 10:47am Msg #631805
Unless you are an attorney or your state allows a notary to draft documents such as an Affidavit, why should such a request be any different than any other GNW notary requests?

Unless you know the person personally and/or know that what they are stating in their Affidavit is false, it seems that if you, as a notary, preform your job correctly, any such request would seem to carry the exact same level of "potential for fraud" as every other notary act you would preform.

Unless there is something I am missing, I don't see a valid reason to refuse to offer your services to someone requesting your services for a request such as you have described. Then there is also the issue, imo, of making someone in such a situation basically jump through extra hoops, basically, just because they are not currently employed.

I know a few states do allow notaries to refuse service without having to provide any reason (outside of any ID or obviously fraudulent issues of course). I don't know if OR is one of those states. If so, then while I might not refuse such a request, you would be well within your rights to do so.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Affidavits for Unemployment Insurance - Ellen The Notary on 5/1/21 10:15am
 Re: Affidavits for Unemployment Insurance -  Cheryl Elliott on 5/1/21 10:21am
 Re: Affidavits for Unemployment Insurance - Moneyman/TX on 5/1/21 10:47am
 Re: Affidavits for Unemployment Insurance -  JanetK_CA on 5/1/21 2:04pm
 Re: Affidavits for Unemployment Insurance - Moneyman/TX on 5/1/21 7:55pm
 Re: Affidavits for Unemployment Insurance -  Cheryl Elliott on 5/2/21 9:27am
 Re: Affidavits for Unemployment Insurance - MikeC/TX on 5/1/21 10:55pm
 Re: Affidavits for Unemployment Insurance - ananotary on 5/1/21 12:09pm
 Re: Affidavits for Unemployment Insurance - Luckydog on 5/1/21 1:15pm
 Re: Affidavits for Unemployment Insurance - Ellen The Notary on 5/2/21 10:37pm
 Are you in California or Oregon? n/m - Gavina Franklin on 5/3/21 11:01am
 Re: Are you in California or Oregon? - Ellen The Notary on 5/3/21 3:54pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.