Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Reminder of long-term storage of digital files
Posted by VT_Syrup of VT on 11/23/22 4:46pm Msg #643469
My state has passed the RULONA. The relevant passage, with the section numbering adopted in my state, says

(k) A notary public, guardian, conservator, or agent of a notary public or a personal representative of a deceased notary public shall retain the audiovisual recording created under subdivision (b)(4) of this section or cause the recording to be retained by a repository designated by or on behalf of the person required to retain the recording. Unless a different period is required by rules adopted under section 5323 of this chapter, the recording must be retained for a period of at least 10 years after the recording is made.

So, it says the storage can be passed of to someone the notary designates. It doesn't say who gets in trouble if the designee fails to perform their responsibility. The law doesn't say under what circumstances the notary must make the recording available to someone who requests it. The law doesn't say if the notary or designated storage entity has to copy the recording when the expected life of the storage medium approaches. The law doesn't say that the notary or storage entity has to help the person who wants to see the recording view it. But the Office of Professional Regulation will have to make rules before any of this goes into effect, so maybe the rules will specify that stuff.

I suppose if I participated in RON, and wanted to be a hard-a**, I could say to someone who asks to see a record from 8 years ago, "sure, come to my home Friday at 1 PM and you can look at it. Be sure to bring everything you need to view an MP3 file on an Acme model 12345 thumb drive with a USB interface". If they can't find hardware that will read the thumb drive, that's their problem. If, by the time they want to view the file, the MP3 format is no longer supported by most operating systems, that's their problem.

But if there was a question about whether the person who signed was really the person who should have signed, and I was sure it was the right person, I'd want to be able to play the video to prove it. If *I* couldn't play the video, I would be at a disadvantage.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Reminder of long-term storage of digital files - VT_Syrup on 11/23/22 1:45pm
 Re: Reminder of long-term storage of digital files -  Yoli/CA on 11/23/22 4:09pm
 Re: Reminder of long-term storage of digital files - VT_Syrup on 11/23/22 4:46pm
 Re: Reminder of long-term storage of digital files - Lee/AR on 11/23/22 4:10pm
 Format/storage change - Art_MD on 11/24/22 7:50am
 Security, Access, and Preservation of Notarial Records - ABC Legal Docs, LLC - Jerry Lucas on 11/24/22 7:28pm
 As someone who isn’t very tech saavy, here’s what I’ve done - FlaNotary2 on 11/26/22 9:12am
 Re: As someone who isn’t very tech saavy, here’s what I’ve done -  Yoli/CA on 11/26/22 10:44am
 Re: As someone who isn’t very tech saavy, here’s what I’ve done - PaigeTurner on 11/27/22 11:23am
 Re: As someone who isn’t very tech saavy, here’s what I’ve done - VT_Syrup on 11/28/22 9:12am
 Re: As someone who isn’t very tech saavy, here’s what I’ve done - PaigeTurner on 11/28/22 2:38pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.