Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: Hypnotherapy for anxiety
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 11/7/21 4:14pm Msg #33672
I don't have any experience with hypnotherapy or acupuncture, but I'm a big believer in meditation as a relaxation technique and stress reliever - and I've really put it to the test.

Somewhere in the early 70's, my younger brother came home from his first year away at college and convinced our whole family to learn Transcendental Meditation (TM). I never got into any of the teachings, but as a physical technique, I found it *very* useful.

My last year in college, consistently meditating 20 minutes twice a day, I cruised through 5 days a week of a half day of student teaching (with a half hour commute each way), 3 hours of classes twice a week, and working a full 8 hour shift as a hotel desk clerk 4 days a week. I averaged about 5 hours of sleep a night. (Yeah, I was in my 20's, but still... Wink)

I didn't keep that up much after graduating, but fast forward almost 30 years and I needed it again after receiving a cancer diagnosis. (That's why I ended up in this business, as a very few of you know.) Talk about stress! I immediately started meditating again and I don't know how I would have gotten through everything without it - especially in the beginning, when there were so many decisions to be made. It made an enormous difference for me, throughout most of a full year of treatment, and even helped me keep working for much of that time.

Every meditation was like unzipping a layer of stress, peeling it off, and getting back to even, and I really needed that - twice a day! TM has been described as a 4th level of consciousness and I think that's pretty accurate. (You're conscious, can hear what's going on around you, but breathing and heart rate slow to less than your average resting rate.) Plus, it's non-invasive and doesn't involve any medication or mind-altering drugs, etc. It's just a simple, natural process that anyone can learn.

This short article gives a pretty accurate description:
http://www.insider.com/transcendental-meditation

When I learned how, we all went to a TM center and were each given a mantra and taught how to meditate. It was pretty easy (and yes, I was one of those skeptics...) I recommend learning from a certified teacher. Like anything else, there's a right way and a wrong way. Also, TM is different from the other types of meditation, or so-called "mindfulness" techniques, that are so popular today. It isn't about concentrating on something, it's more about not concentrating on anything. That's a very important difference.

From a quick search, I found this: http://www.tm.org/transcendental-meditation-santa-barbara. Since your friend isn't working, perhaps she could get a grant? If not, it still might be cheaper than other therapies or approaches - and maybe more effective.

As for hypnotherapy, count me with those who aren't comfortable with it. It would require a great deal of trust in the hypnotherapist. I've met a few over the years through networking activities, and I wouldn't trust any of them. If looking, I might make an exception for someone who was also a psychiatrist (which requires a medical degree), but most hypnotherapists don't have anywhere near that level of training. The ones I've met had pretty minimal training, IMO.

Best wishes to your friend!
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Hypnotherapy for anxiety -  Cheryl Elliott on 11/7/21 8:17am
 Re: Hypnotherapy for anxiety -  Yoli/CA on 11/7/21 9:39am
 Re: Hypnotherapy for anxiety -  Cheryl Elliott on 11/7/21 10:53am
 Re: Hypnotherapy for anxiety - SC/CA on 11/7/21 12:36pm
 Re: Hypnotherapy for anxiety -  JanetK_CA on 11/7/21 4:14pm
 Re: Hypnotherapy for anxiety - SC/CA on 11/7/21 5:45pm
 Re: Hypnotherapy for anxiety - SC/CA on 11/7/21 6:02pm
 I am a TMr too -  Cheryl Elliott on 11/7/21 6:04pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.