Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: Hypnotherapy for anxiety
Posted by SC/CA of CA on 11/7/21 5:45pm Msg #33674
I totally agree with the amazing effectiveness of meditation. I heard that Ringo Starr began meditating after being chronically ill as a child, and also to keep himself calm as he was a go-between with The Beatles’ in-fighting.

Among other things, I think meditation really helps in being less reactive, and provides a kind of cushion between you and stress - especially when done as a regular practice. I think of it as a tool in the toolbox – using different tools, bringing-out old ones, sharpening them, finding new ones. Sort of like sometimes you enjoy biking, or may also get into doing weights. etc.

I too started with TM, and have been doing both yoga and meditating off-and-on (more on than off) since freshman year in high school. It makes you energized when you’re tired, and calms you when you need calming. It’s balancing, and can make you refreshed like you have a brand new day. I’ve recently come to theorize that it’s all part of strengthening and conditioning the parasympathetic nervous system, almost like muscle-memory for the nervous system and stress.

I was involved in a bad mountain-bike accident not that long ago – several broken ribs, collapsed lung (pretty bad shape, intensive care for one week). When the emergency room doc had to insert what looked like a garden hose into my side to save my life (thank you, docs!), and balance-out the pressure in my lungs, they could not sedate me. I had to remain conscious. So, I immediately started visualizing being at my spot, at the beach. And, boy was I ever there! At one point, the doctor asked me to talk to him more, to make sure I was okay (understandable). I was snarky and said, “But, I’m at the beach!” And as soon as I pulled myself out, it hurt like a heck!
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Hypnotherapy for anxiety -  Cheryl Elliott on 11/7/21 8:17am
 Re: Hypnotherapy for anxiety -  Yoli/CA on 11/7/21 9:39am
 Re: Hypnotherapy for anxiety -  Cheryl Elliott on 11/7/21 10:53am
 Re: Hypnotherapy for anxiety - SC/CA on 11/7/21 12:36pm
 Re: Hypnotherapy for anxiety -  JanetK_CA on 11/7/21 4:14pm
 Re: Hypnotherapy for anxiety - SC/CA on 11/7/21 5:45pm
 Re: Hypnotherapy for anxiety - SC/CA on 11/7/21 6:02pm
 I am a TMr too -  Cheryl Elliott on 11/7/21 6:04pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.