Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Thank you very much for this informative article, Cheryl ...
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 1/13/19 8:12pm Msg #602108
Yep. And some of us have been warning about this probability for a long time now (and were sometimes poo-pooed for being negative). I'd rather be wrong, when it comes to this issue, but it's clearly becoming more and more likely.

As for where we are today, BearPaw correctly makes the distinction between e-notarization and remote notarization, and on the determination of the supporters of the latter. As for the former, I believe e-notarization has been possible in CA since at least about 2 commissions ago for me.

Also on the remote notarization issue, I think we should all keep in mind that for that service to take over a major chunk of our business, it doesn't need to become legal within our own state. It just needs to be legal for documents notarized remotely (from anywhere else, but presumably within the US) to be accepted in our state. Maybe someone can clarify if there's even a way to know that a document was remotely notarized. Will those documents look any different than another document e-notarized? Do we even know what portion of our business has already been skimmed by these services?

If remote notarization DOES become legal in our own state, that will just give us the option of deciding if we want to make what I imagine would be the rather significant investment in: 1) web camera equipment, 2) the software required for what will presumably be access to Knowledge Based Authentication (KBA) for identification of signers, 3) whatever additional screening will be required to be *allowed* to buy that software, 4) some kind of hardware or service for very secure, long term storage of the videos of every transaction notarized, etc., etc... I've long suspected this could price out the vast majority of sole-proprietor type notary services that most of us provide.

BTW, I think that at least the topic of the article in the OP is very work-related. So yes, let's continue to try to make an effort to have threads here be to "Discuss Work", but I'd suggest we not be so quick to pull the trigger to complain. I personally don't find it that difficult to skip over threads that don't interest me.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Something to ponder -  Cheryl Elliott on 1/13/19 11:01am
 This belongs in leisure n/m - Luckydog on 1/13/19 11:22am
 LEISURE. This post and many others that simply post - grapebed on 1/13/19 12:00pm
 Go deeper... -  Cheryl Elliott on 1/13/19 12:19pm
 Re: Go deeper... - Luckydog on 1/13/19 12:32pm
 Take your heads out of the sand... -  Cheryl Elliott on 1/13/19 12:14pm
 Re: Something to ponder -  Cheryl Elliott on 1/13/19 12:36pm
 Re: Something to ponder - Luckydog on 1/13/19 1:12pm
 Re: Something to ponder - LJCA on 1/13/19 1:07pm
 Lots of variables, Lisa...things change all the time -  Cheryl Elliott on 1/13/19 1:25pm
 Thank you very much for this informative article, Cheryl ... - BearPaw/CO on 1/13/19 1:46pm
 Re: Thank you very much for this informative article, Cheryl ... -  JanetK_CA on 1/13/19 8:12pm
 Re: BP & Janet response - LJCA on 1/14/19 1:29pm
 Thanks, Laurie! I've been wondering about that. Good news! n/m -  JanetK_CA on 1/14/19 2:20pm
 Maybe it’s just me, but I am not getting my economic info - grapebed on 1/13/19 1:50pm
 Re: Maybe it’s just me, but I am not getting my economic info -  Cheryl Elliott on 1/13/19 2:23pm
 I get the Wall Street Journal delivered daily to my home. n/m - grapebed on 1/13/19 2:48pm
 Re: Something to ponder -  Greg Wilson on 1/13/19 5:55pm
 Re: Something to ponder - LisaKT/CA on 1/13/19 10:52pm
 Re: Something to ponder -  JanetK_CA on 1/14/19 12:03am
 Re: Something to ponder - LisaKT/CA on 1/14/19 2:43am
 Re: Something to ponder -  JanetK_CA on 1/14/19 2:33pm
 Lisa's right.. - Linda_H/FL on 1/14/19 4:22pm
 Is it time for a letter-writing campaign again? -  JanetK_CA on 1/16/19 12:01am

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.