Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: City of Baltimore suffers a ransomware attack, can
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 6/15/19 5:26pm Msg #607467
The problem is that they don't always give you your computer system back - the city pays the ransom, and may never hear from these people again. There are cyber-security companies that are skilled at unraveling this stuff, but they are expensive and it takes some time, so sometimes just paying the ransom seems like the easiest course, but if you pay it and your computers are still bricks, now there's added time and expense.

I was the victim of an attempted ransomware attack last year; the attack failed because I had anti-ransomware software installed which detected it - software I had just installed a couple of months before. Most major antivirus programs now offer protection against ransomware (don't know if the free ones do, but it's worth paying for), but a lot of companies and even cities don't want to pay for that protection for their IT systems - until the horse is already out of the barn.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 City of Baltimore suffers a ransomware attack, can't record - grapebed on 6/14/19 7:53pm
 Re: City of Baltimore suffers a ransomware attack, can - Laureen/LA on 6/14/19 8:39pm
 Re: City of Baltimore suffers a ransomware attack, can - Luckydog on 6/14/19 11:12pm
 Re: City of Baltimore suffers a ransomware attack, can - MikeC/TX on 6/15/19 5:26pm
 Re: City of Baltimore suffers a ransomware attack, can - Luckydog on 6/16/19 12:19pm
 I think I saw that same 60 minutes segment - Linda_TN on 6/16/19 6:59pm
 This is a horrible cyber-crime. It's happening everywhere -  MW/VA on 6/15/19 8:02am
 Re: This is a horrible cyber-crime. It - Laureen Reeve on 6/15/19 3:32pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.