Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: Should I Have Said No? (California)
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 4/7/19 3:10pm Msg #605172
I pretty much agree with your assessment, Gerard. As with many things in life, a little common sense can go a long way, and I've never been concerned about that in a verbal conversation. Wink (The only exception would be when the conversation is in Spanish, as required by state law. I either avoid using the term "Notario/a" altogether or I include a statement explaining what a 'notary' is in this country and that we are not lawyers, etc.)

I try to look to the intent and the context as guides. When the context is just a being presented with copy of an ID that someone says they need notarized, I want to separate myself from any act that sounds like I'm certifying or guaranteeing anything beyond the facts stated in my notary certificate. (So the signer makes the certification and I notarize their signature on their statement.)

However, if I'm presented with a statement from a lender or title company in a loan package that, to me, has the intent of confirming that I did examine what qualifies as acceptable ID in my state and determined that this person provided satisfactory evidence, I'll consider signing it. But that's only as long as the wording doesn't feel like it's asking me to do something not permitted under my state law. Signing with a different title than "NP" is primarily a technicality and a precautionary reminder that a CA NP cannot certify anything except a copy of a POA or a journal line item entry. There have been a few that I didn't sign at all.
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 Should I Have Said No? (California) - WILLIAM Bucy on 4/5/19 3:06pm
 William, I strongly recommend you study the SOS Handbook -  Cheryl Elliott on 4/5/19 4:18pm
 Re: William, I strongly recommend you study the SOS Handbook - WILLIAM Bucy on 4/5/19 4:24pm
 Re: William, I strongly recommend you study the SOS Handbook - BearPaw/CO on 4/5/19 6:18pm
 The client said ... - BobbiCT on 4/6/19 10:59am
 Re: William, I strongly recommend you study the SOS Handbook - Philip Johnson on 4/6/19 10:11am
 Re: Should I Have Said No? (California) - LJCA on 4/6/19 9:22am
 Re: Should I Have Said No? (California) -  JanetK_CA on 4/6/19 3:49pm
 Re: Should I Have Said No? (California) -  VT_Syrup on 4/6/19 5:22pm
 Re: Should I Have Said No? (California) -  JanetK_CA on 4/7/19 3:10pm
 Re: Should I Have Said No? (California) -  canotaryhere on 4/8/19 4:32am
 Re: Should I Have Said No? (California) -  JanetK_CA on 4/8/19 3:21pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.