Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: Thrown in jail without any charges while police investigate
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 12/30/16 6:00pm Msg #69103
I don't know what's more disturbing - that fact that this appears to be a common procedure for this PD or the fact that it's taken this long for the DOJ to try to put an end to it.

I think the reason attorneys never got involved is that the only option these folks often have for legal representation is a public defender, and one is not assigned until you're charged. If you're not charged, as most of these folks weren't, you don't get access to a lawyer unless you can pay for it. Public defender's offices are often overwhelmed by their caseload, especially in poorer areas such as the one in the article. Prosecutors don't really have a motivation to do anything about it either. That leaves private lawyers, few of whom would have any involvement in these types of cases. On top of that, many of these folks were held incommunicado - they weren't even allowed to make a phone call. How do you get a lawyer when you're not permitted to contact anyone at all?

I think this was allowed to go on for so long because the people who were subjected to it had no one to stand up and advocate for them. Enter the power of a free press...

There is a tremendous amount to be grateful for about law enforcement in general - it's a tough job that not everyone can or should do. As much as I appreciate the effort and the sacrifice, I agree with you that we should not just blindly support them. There will always be a rogue cop somewhere who works under his own rules until he's caught, and unfortunately, there will be the occasional department such as this one that ignores constitutional rights and just does what it wants to do.

I hope this is resolved quickly without the DOJ needing to sue.
PrevNextReturn to Just Politics

Messages in this Thread
 Thrown in jail without any charges while police investigate -  Moneyman/TX on 12/30/16 5:04pm
 More corrupt police "do as I say, not as I do" -  Moneyman/TX on 12/30/16 5:28pm
 Re: More corrupt police "do as I say, not as I do" - MikeC/TX on 12/30/16 6:12pm
 Re: More corrupt police "do as I say, not as I do" -  Moneyman/TX on 12/30/16 6:36pm
 Re: Thrown in jail without any charges while police investigate - MikeC/TX on 12/30/16 6:00pm
 Re: Thrown in jail without any charges while police investigate -  Moneyman/TX on 12/30/16 6:46pm
 Re: Thrown in jail without any charges while police investigate - MikeC/TX on 12/31/16 6:21pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.