Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust PoliticsLeisure
Political discussion involving past and present political events, candidates and elections. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Las Vegas
Posted by MikeC/TX of TX on 10/2/17 7:22pm Msg #71047
I am so tired hearing about the "thoughts and prayers" that politicians send out after each mass shooting - your thoughts and prayers are useless, they have not solved the problem. You need to actually DO something other than to be sanctimonious about it.

At least 58 dead, 500+ wounded. One man's Second Amendment rights apparently supersede the right of 58 others to live and 500+ others to not have to seek medical care they may not be able to afford. The last report I read was that the police said the shooter had 20 rifles in the room, with two automatic weapons mounted on tripods by the windows.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

That - probably the most tortured sentence in American history - is the entire text of the Second Amendment. Can someone explain to me how the massacre in Las Vegas was protected by the Second Amendment? Where does the Militia part come into play, or are you one of those who thinks the text starts with the third phrase?

Right now, Congress is considering a bill to eliminate restrictions on silencers (or more accurately, noise suppressors), a bill brought to you by the friendly lobbyists at the NRA. The NRA is a marketing group - their sole purpose is to increase the sale of guns and accessories so that their member companies can make more money. The Second Amendment is their best friend, and they play it for all its worth. I'm not sure they actually care about what it means other than that it enables them to sell more guns.

I do not and have never owned a gun, nor do I see myself doing so in the future. I can understand the argument for gun ownership for hunting, sport, and personal defense - I have no problem with that. I do not understand why any gun-owner NEEDS a semi-automatic weapon - are the deer moving too fast for you? Maybe you need to spend more time practicing on the gun range...

But a noise suppressor is an offensive weapon - its ONLY purpose is to mask where the shot is coming from. Why would a hunter, or a sportsman, or even someone only keeping a gun for self-defense need a noise suppressor?? They don't, but the NRA wants them to be able to have them because it will increase sales.

And if this bill passes, law enforcement professionals will have a tougher time figuring out where the shots are coming from during the next massacre. And more people will die.
PrevNextReturn to Just Politics

Messages in this Thread
 Las Vegas - MikeC/TX on 10/2/17 7:22pm
 Re: Las Vegas - jnew on 10/3/17 11:24am
 Re: Las Vegas - MikeC/TX on 10/3/17 7:25pm
 Re: Las Vegas - Lee/AR on 10/3/17 7:39pm
 Re: Las Vegas - MikeC/TX on 10/3/17 8:14pm
 Re: Las Vegas -  canotaryhere on 10/4/17 7:20pm
 Re: Las Vegas - MikeC/TX on 10/4/17 10:53pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.