Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Just PoliticsLeisure
Welcome to the Notary Talk General Discussion Forum. Before posting, please read the

Re: New Notary Seeking Information.
Posted by  JanetK_CA of CA on 8/4/20 3:50am Msg #622744
You've taken a major step in the right direction by reading forums and starting to get education. Few things in life are as easy as they look before you get into the nitty gritty.

As a notary working for yourself, you are now a business owner, not an employee, which requires a different way of thinking. For example, you know pay all your own expenses, and instead of getting a paycheck, your goal is to earn a profit, after expenses. That includes paying estimated income taxes each quarter.

It can be a lot to learn up front, like what type of records to keep, how to track expenses, etc., so that you don't find yourself in trouble later on. I recommend checking to see if there's a chapter of SCORE (Service Corps of Retired Executives) in your area. They are volunteers who offer mentoring and other types of training, usually at no charge. In my area, there are lots and lots of classes (virtual, these days) on a wide variety of topics.

I also recommend doing lots of research on the future of this field - perhaps before you fully commit to this as a 'career'. And being from VA, you should especially look into Remote Online Notarization (RON). There's been a fair amount of discussion about it here, which can be found via the Search feature of this forum.

One more thing... Before you even try to start doing loan signing, make sure you get some additional training about loan docs, if you haven't already. You should also be very comfortable handling notarizations first, and know your state's notary law inside out.

Good luck!
PrevNextReturn to General Discussion    Post a Public Reply to this MessageSend Author a Private Message

Messages in this Thread
 New Notary Seeking Information. - Jazmyn Sampson on 8/4/20 12:36am
 Re: New Notary Seeking Information. -  JanetK_CA on 8/4/20 3:50am
 Keep reading & have a business plan - Lee/AR on 8/4/20 8:47am
 Welcome, Jazmyn. As far as "I've seen a lot of information -  MW/VA on 8/4/20 9:13am
 Re: New Notary Seeking Information. - Luckydog on 8/4/20 9:14am
 Luckydog told it straight & true - Lee/AR on 8/4/20 9:43am
 I agree. A young person should have many more options -  MW/VA on 8/4/20 10:24am
 Re: New Notary Seeking Information. - CST on 8/4/20 11:37am
 how do you pay your taxes... - Luckydog on 8/4/20 9:25am
 Agree with all the answers here - there's not a lick of - Linda_H/FL on 8/4/20 1:53pm
 Re: Agree with all the answers here - there - Jazmyn Sampson on 8/4/20 6:54pm
 Keep in mind that you & your grandmother could be partners & -  MW/VA on 8/4/20 7:07pm
 Re: Keep in mind that you & your grandmother could be partners & - Luckydog on 8/5/20 7:23am
 Re: New Notary Seeking Information. - Ink_Hoarder1 on 8/5/20 9:49pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.