Join  |  Login  |   Cart    

Notary Rotary
Notary WorkJust Politics
Discussion involving leisure activities: books, travel, hobbies, sports, Internet fun and more. Please read Msg #1 before posting.

Re: So, we flipped! Great stuff is right!!
Posted by Bear900/CA of CA on 2/7/23 3:34pm Msg #35684
SC/CA, you seem to have more good tips than any of us! And thank you for those. One simple tip is making our own almond milk and storing it in an old-fashioned heavy glass quart-sized milk jar I bought on Amazon that's reminiscent of the old days. It stays ice cold that way. Thats our dairy substitute and we like it.

Breakfast most days is simple old-fashioned oats with a bit of cinnamon and almond milk. I add a1/3 cup mixed berries (Black, red and blue).

Although I'm not big on avocados because of fat content, my wife got me hooked spreading it over whole grain toast with sliced tomatoes on top. I think she adds a pinch of pepper and paprika. Only my second day eating this so not sure. We tossed all our packaged organic spreads out. Harvested last of tomatoes yesterday!

We keep greens at the ready always! In the fridge and in the ground. Just one kale plant in a pot will grow year-round and keep you supplied. Kale endures freezes, heat, rain, maybe snow!

Contrary to what some may think, I didn't start eating plant-based because it was healthier. My first two years gardening I bought every sort of leafy green plant available from an organic grower which was quite expensive. I had so much growing, I couldn't eat or give it away fast enough and was having to compost a lot of good greens. So, I went around all the beds picking just one leaf off each plant in the morning and refrigerating them. It was about 1- 2 quarts daily and I ate it at lunch. I mixed in all sorts of good stuff and sometimes had some vegan pasta with homemade pasta sauce on the side.

The results were unexpected and blows any diet fad out of the water. I was shedding weight like crazy and feeling great! I wanted to learn more so deep-dived into whole-food plant-based eating and have been at it off and on ever since. When I start cheating especially with fats, I get sick. I would go to Black Angus when visiting family, buy us steak dinners and have a stomach-ache all night.

It's been a process. A LOT of education and trial. We are not new to this. I credit my wife as she will watch videos with me and get inspired to try different ways of cooking out of her norm. She's a talented cook and once she's on board she takes off running with it. I'm fortunate. The proof for her is also in the eating. She just called me and mentioned how great she is feeling.

Our basics: If it's in a package or container we avoid it. We include vegetables, fruits, legumes, seeds, nuts, mushrooms, and a lot of leafy greens. We exclude dairy, meat, eggs and oils. This has been an up and down process going back on some ground turkey and fish or beef-O substitute. Once off of it, we really don't miss it. When we backslid, we often felt sick and put on weight. We walk, hike, garden, landscape, wash two cars and a truck, and camp. None of this to stay healthy. We enjoy it! We don't smoke, nor are we regular drinkers.

I just turned 71 and honestly don't have many wrinkles compared to my siblings. Neither my wife nor I have had any cancer, diabetes, heart disease or other chronic and diet related health issues nor ever needed to take meds for them.

My siblings who are equally health-conscious, light or non-meat eaters, non-smokers, have had cancers (one died) and one had a mild stroke. None eat whole-food plant-based.

I have a 99 yr old uncle alive in San Francisco who is in the handball hall of fame, past-president of the South-End rowing club, marathon runner, marathon swimmer (across the Golden Gate bridge), grows veggies and eats his own kale every day. We ran together when I was a teen, and he took an interest in me perhaps because I was health conscious.

It's not a matter of granny's simplified Western eating, or the standard American diet (SAD). It's getting back to nature and way from obesity, diabetes, cancer, and heart disease, the number one killer from eating fats.

Best Tip of the Day: Eat 70% healthy carbs, 15 percent healthy fats, and 15% protein, all available from plants.
PrevNextReturn to Leisure

Messages in this Thread
 Facts about Ketogenic dieting - Bear900/CA on 2/2/23 12:10pm
 Re: Facts about Ketogenic dieting -  JanetK_CA on 2/3/23 9:33pm
 Re: Facts about Ketogenic dieting - Bear900/CA on 2/4/23 12:36am
 Day 4 - PaigeTurner on 2/4/23 3:27pm
 Thanks for YouTube link. Great stuff! -  JanetK_CA on 2/4/23 7:54pm
 Re: Thanks for YouTube link. Great stuff! - SC/CA on 2/6/23 7:39pm
 So, we flipped! Great stuff is right!! - Bear900/CA on 2/7/23 10:50am
 Re: So, we flipped! Great stuff is right!! - SC/CA on 2/7/23 1:03pm
 Re: So, we flipped! Great stuff is right!! - Bear900/CA on 2/7/23 3:34pm
 Re: So, we flipped! Great stuff is right!! - SC/CA on 2/8/23 2:54pm
 Re: So, we flipped! Great stuff is right!! - SC/CA on 2/8/23 4:41pm
 Re: Facts about Ketogenic dieting - SC/CA on 2/4/23 4:36pm
 agree #6 But this is not a fad it's been around since 1924! - PaigeTurner on 2/5/23 3:01pm

Find a Notary   Notary Supplies   Terms   Privacy Statement   Help/FAQ   About   Contact Us   Archive  

Notary Rotary™ is a trademark of Notary Rotary. Copyright © 2002-2024, Notary Rotary, Inc.  All rights reserved.
500 New York Ave, Des Moines, IA 50313.